pc recycling with free software

graham graham at theseamans.net
Tue Nov 3 00:37:00 UTC 2009

Graziano wrote:

> The "Tiny Linux Distribution"  (which is a Tiny GNU/Linux distribution)
> is not on the list of the GNU project fully free software GNU/Linux
> distributions.
>

> This could mean it includes non free software.
>
> I think it would be great if you could recommend people a fully free
> software distribution instead.
>
> Here they are:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

It's a good idea. However, as far as I know none of these are
specifically targetted at old systems with little memory and small disks
as Tinylinux is (http://tiny.seul.org/it/). In fact apart from tiny
linux the only other distribution I know of aimed at very small or old
systems is Puppy linux, which is also not 'guaranteed' 100% free.

I know that there are many gnu/linux distributions which can no longer
even be installed on very old computers because of their size and/or
distribution method; can you recommend any of the 100% free
distributions for this purpose?

Thanks
Graham