[thomas-P449/uttUdo at public.gmane.org: Teach Copyright Right! (fwd)]

simo simo.sorce at xsec.it
Fri May 29 00:52:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 10:19 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
> <ompaul at eircom.net> writes:
>
> > please licence this under the GDFL no invariant sections please
>
> Why FDL? That seems excessively restrictive and cumbersome for a work
> designed to be used in many different contexts, not just printed book
> form. We want this work adapted for video, audio, and lots of other
> formats; the printed-book-oriented restrictions in the FDL are poorly
> suited for that.
>
> I would strongly recommend against FDL for this work. Any of CC-BY-3.0,
> CC-BY-SA-3.0, or even GPL-3.0 would be better.

Guys those three phrases are a good idea, but we are getting into
(C)-feticism here ...
These words (might) be copyrightable, but the amount is so little that
they can certainly be cited "in toto" without any permission from the
author.
So a thinking about license is simply a waste of time and potentially an
indication that fair use is more at risk then I thought, you'd hope (C)
critics would know what fair use is and how to use it ...

Simo.