[Fwd: Re: FSFE engages in the EU browser case]

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.cat
Mon Mar 23 13:45:33 UTC 2009

Sorry, meant to send it to the list...
---------------------------------------------------------------- Missatge original -----------------------------------------------------------------
Assumpte: Re: FSFE engages in the EU browser case
De:       "Xavi Drudis Ferran" <xdrudis at tinet.cat>
Data:     Dl, Març 23, 2009 2:43 pm
A:        "Florian Weimer" <fw at deneb.enyo.de>

> * Bernhard Reiter:
>
>> What is the difference of Microsoft integrating IE into Windows
>> to Mandriva integrating Konqueror into KDE?
>
> Yes, this is a less provocative way of putting it.

Just a small, partial, lateral angle to it, in case it helps somebody:

If Microsofts feels threatened by any Mandriva's position on browsers.
Microsoft can start shipping konquerors where they want. They must
only respect some very liberal licenses which even allow them to port
konqueror, include any specific new features, etc.

If Mandriva feels likewise threatened by Microsoft, they can't start shipping
IE.

I've never heard (but IANAL) that competition law is about products . I've
always thought it's about companies. And I can't see how free software can
harm competing companies.

That's just one difference. But an important one, since competition law
is supposed to be about protecting consumers, no just sharing pies between
oligopolists... And the protection of consumers rights depends quite a lot on
the license.

Not withstanding the many other arguments...