OSI and Free Software (was: Similar discussion list but not only for Europe?)

Bernhard Reiter reiter at fsfeurope.org
Tue Mar 10 08:53:03 UTC 2009

Am Montag, 9. März 2009 17:43:05 schrieb list at akfoerster.de:
> Am Montag, dem 09. M�r 2009 schrieb Sam Liddicott:
> > * list wrote, On 09/03/09 11:14:

> I consider this license as an "edge cases". One of very few!
> So, while it is a fact that the OSI accepted it while the FSF rejected it,
> it doesn't mean, that they are far apart. There's not only black and white.
> That also doesn't mean that they are all equal in my view. There are
> differences between the FSF and the OSI, and I clearly prefer the position
> of the FSF in most cases. But that doesn't mean that I see the OSI as an
> opponent. They are surely not "also interested in non-free licenses as
> well". The FSF just found a bug in this case, which the OSI didn't see.

Thanks for pointing this out Andreas.
I also like to remind all readers that the definition of OSI comes from Debian
and they try to explain Free Software differently, but they like to come to
the same results.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010406183942/http://opensource.org/advocacy/faq.html
| How is "open source" related to "free software"?
| The Open Source Initiative is a marketing program for free software.
[...]

With the legal situations changing (slightly), technical changes and new
licenses coming up all the time, it is an ongoing process to evaluate what
Free Software means precisely given a concrete license. The work Debian and
OSI is doing is useful to the cause. And sometimes their experts and FSFE's
experts disagree on something, but this just shows we are having an active
process and discussion.

Bernhard

--
FSFE -- Coordinator Germany                                   (fsfeurope.org)
Your donation makes our work possible:  www.fsfeurope.org/help/donate.en.html