Similar discussion list but not only for Europe?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:47:09 UTC 2009

2009/3/9 Noah Slater <nslater at tumbolia.org>:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 12:54:09PM +0000, David Gerard wrote:

>> (I started http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy
>> and helped get it to Wikipedia featured status.)

> What's your nick on Wikipedia.

User:David Gerard , oddly enough ;-)

> I have previously been involved in the arguments with Chris Cunningham about his
> endless drive to remove all references to GNU/Linux from Wikipedia. I had
> presumed that he had made this page as well. Such muddled thinking exists on
> both sides it seems. I gave up in the end.

There's a thing called the "history" tab which is useful in this
context. I separated it out from the main [[Linux]] article (which was
an utter mess) in 2004.

There are partisans on all sides. However, the good ones know how to
edit neutrally *anyway*. Presuming that anyone who does anything of
benefit to a side other than yours is proceeding from malice ... is a
fundamental error. That's where the Wikipedia maxim "assume good
faith" comes from. You can think of it instead as "assume stupidity
rather than malice" if you like ;-)

- d.