Movements (was: Terminology (was: Please review our new charter))

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Feb 5 10:29:33 UTC 2009

On Donnerstag, 5. Februar 2009, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:15 PM, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
>
> <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > So he talks about two movements, you are saying that they are one.
>
> RMS talks about two movements, but Simo is talking about the software:
> two separate things. At the moment one can safely assume that all
> software classified as Free/LIbre by FSF standard is also Open Source
> by OSI standard.
>
> Once you get that distinction you'll be able to improve your charter
> and do good to your country

Simo, Stef, thanks for explaning my point, you've did a good job!

Note on the subject of movements, there is a completely seperate issue:
The FSFE maintains that there is one movement, though there are at least two
subgroups one being "Free Software people" and others "Open Source people".
In brief our reasons for speaking about one movement are that
we cannot conquer the word "movement" and that even "Open Source people" are
not completely politic-agnostic and having and influence on society.
Scientists usually will understand "social movement" or "cultural movement"
in a much larger grouping of the topic, so they will most likely see one
movement. (Here I again prefer the wording "Free Software movement".)

Oh, btw, Richard is not the only one that thinks and speaks
about Free Software, so quoting him is not authoritative on the whole movement
nor on all major FSFs. I believe the FSFE position on this matter has
convinced a number of Free Software leaders over the years, including Richard
(the quote was from 2002 or so).

Best Regards,
Bernhard

--