Please review our new charter

Bernhard Reiter reiter at fsfeurope.org
Wed Feb 4 08:38:32 UTC 2009

On Montag, 2. Februar 2009, Noah Slater wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:09:33PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > "Open Source" is by design a different word for Free Software.
> > http://web.archive.org/web/20060924132033/www.opensource.org/advocacy/faq
> >.php "The Open Source Initiative is a marketing program for free
> > software."
> >
> > Regarding software, both mean the same status,
> > that the software user has all four freedoms.
> > Software itself cannot be a group of people.
>
> The FSFE concerns its self with a LOT more than just software. It is also
> important to support developers, groups, events, promotion, education, and
> all the other things which might further the core set of principals.

True, we do. We cannot prevent other people inventing new names
for the status of Software that mean the same, examples
	"open source" (marketing-term)
	"libre software" (a new attempt to avoid missunderstandings)
	"foss"	      (try-not-to-hurt-anybody-but-probably-not-clear-about-it-myself)
	"floss"	      (even-more-embracing-attempt-or-in-need-of-cleaning-teeth)
;)

> In this respect, supporting Open Source and supporting Free Software is an
> important distinction to make.

Regarding software it is not a distinction,
still it is important which term to use as some are harder to understand
as others and the group of people coming up with the terms have different
agendas. The Open Source Initiative for instance wanted to sell Free Software
on technical merits only and in a second step teach them about Freedom.
Some consider this plan failed.
Also they wanted to blend out effect of society and longer term effects on
business. So even for businesses this did not fully work out, as there are
even better arguments which they excluded from their arguments.

Best,
Bernhard

--
FSFE -- Coordinator Germany                                   (fsfeurope.org)
Your donation makes our work possible:  www.fsfeurope.org/help/donate.en.html