Please review our new charter

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 3 21:15:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Matthias Kirschner <mk at fsfe.org> wrote:
> * Noah Slater <nslater at tumbolia.org> [2009-02-02 16:11:58 +0000]:
>
>> The FSFE is not planning to do this, from my reading. They are making a
>> statement that they wish to support Open Source and Free Software as separate
>> groups, which is a fantastic thing.
>
> Why do you think FSFE consider them as seperated groups?
>
> I personally do not consider Open Source and Free Software as seperate
> _groups_. They are different names for the same thing. Open Source is a
> failed marketing term for Free Software. Free Software is the better
> term, that is why we had the "We speak about Free Software" [1]
> campaign.

Well, I also speak about free software, but I also speak about open
source. I agree that free software is better, and it is my first
choice, but if I cannot have this freedom and I am given only "open
source" then I am practical and I use that as well.
We are talking about a nation that is struggling to survive and people
who just want jobs, many have heard about open source, and we need to
reach them to tell them about free software.

So I have to remain firm that we will also talk about open source,
because that is what people know. I am willing to expand on why free
software is better and be more distinct, if you want to help I would
be grateful.

I would love to have your comments or suggestions on the charter on
how to make it better. I am open to your comments, and we need to get
this ready for signing asap.

thanks,
mike