Please review our new charter

simo simo.sorce at xsec.it
Mon Feb 2 21:04:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 17:35 +0100, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
> I don't agree :
>
> free software and open source have different meaning to many people.
> If you look at the "open source" people at microsoft you will find
> 200+, but for "free software" only 23.
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/search?proposalType=Y&newnessType=Y&search=&searchLocationType=Y&pplSearchOrigin=MDYS&currentCompany=cp&company=Microsoft+Corp&keywords=%22free+software%22

How is a linkedIn flawed statistic (there are non MS employees in your
search why you imply they are all poeople that work or have worked at
Microsoft) based on a search term mean anything ?

> Now, opensource is a trademark and has a specific meaning,
> we want to show support of that.

False. Open Source is not a Trademark. And its meaning is also often not
as clear as some people want you to believe, at least not in common
people's minds.

> Free software is also a well defined term and has a specific meaning,
> we want to show support of that.
>
> We also want to show that we support free software more than open
> source if we have a choice, but we do not always have this choice.

can you give me examples of software that is Free Software but not Open
Source or OS but not FS ?

Simo.