RFC - e-mail in tough environments

Yavor Doganov yavor at gnu.org
Fri Dec 11 22:07:28 UTC 2009

Ben Finney wrote:
> Many people participate in mailing lists without being subscribed to
> them (e.g. via Gmane). There is no way for the mailing list to know
> whether this is the case.

True...

> In that case, the recipient doesn't want *any* copies of the message
> in their email.

...But don't generalize, please.  I read this list as a newsgroup (and
many others), but I don't mind, and even appreciate when people CC me.

> Which is what they've taken care of by not subscribing their email
> address to the list.

Not necessarily.  It's just a matter of habit for me -- if the list is
available as a newsgroup, I read it as a newsgroup.  (Another reason
is to reduce the load on my spam filter -- if I had to receive every
message I read as email, that scruffy machine would experience
sky-high load.)