RFC - e-mail in tough environments

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Dec 11 13:01:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:35:26 +0200, Yavor Doganov wrote:

> More generally speaking, mailing lists are a gross hack to replace
> Usenet newsgroups, just because the new kids on the block seem to find
> NNTP archaic and weird (partly because most "modern" user-agents have

The reason why almost all real work moved from Usenet to MLs is due to
the worse signal/noise ratio on the Usenet about 10 to 15 years ago.

Sure, NNTP is the far better system from a technical POV but that does
not help you if you can't get your work done due to all the noise.
Fortunately we have web fori (and blog comments) today so that MLs
keep on working well.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner