RFC - e-mail in tough environments

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at fsfe.org
Thu Dec 10 16:45:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

Michael Kesper <mkesper at schokokeks.org> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 02:47:51PM -0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
>> As a courtesy to you I did that just now, but I prefer reply-to-all
>> without my address deleted as it makes it easier to keep on top of
>> threads I participate in.
>
> Me, as many other people I know, in contrary get ennerved if they get
> double responses to their posts.

To avoid this you just have to tell the world that you are subscribed to
the list. Mail-followup-to exactly do this. ;-)

Especially on large and public list I don't know who is subscribed and
who is not. So the only way to solve this problem is that everyone who
is subscribed propagate this information. Preferable in a way that the
mail client can deal with it. So that you don't have to do a "replay to
all" and than go through the list of recipients and decide which email
has to removed and which has to stay.

Beside that, as mentioned by Werner, your mail provider, procmail and/or
mail client should be able to detect and remove duplicates.

best wishes,
Björn

--
Björn Schießle                                    <schiessle at fsfeuope.org>