Weblog comments (was: Re: New Free Software related books for friends)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:50:39 UTC 2009

2009/12/1 Matthias Kirschner <mk at fsfe.org>:
> Hi MJ,
> * MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> [2009-11-30 23:58:37 +0000]:

>> I tried to ask this on the blog article's comments, but blogs.fsfe.org
>> is using the *AWFUL* "Dave's Spam Karma 2" (users of that eye-watering
>> website-crippling plugin should be reincarnated as tinned meat - that
>> would be spam _karma_) so I don't know whether it will appear there,
>> so I repost it here:

> I approved your comment now. Do you know a better solution for avoiding
> spam in the comments? I enabled it after I recevied about 15 e-mails a
> day with Wordpress Blog comment spam.

I find moderation plus Akismet does the job really nicely on my
Wordpress blogs. Akismet is a distributed spam-spotting service, so
you can block spam that's never hit you personally. YMMV of course,
but I have had extremely few false positives, and none that I can
recall in the last year or two.

- d.