firefox, iceweasel, burningdog, icecat, ...

Andreas K. Foerster list at akfoerster.de
Fri Oct 31 18:12:04 UTC 2008

Am Friday, dem 31. Oct 2008 schrieb Reinhard Mueller:

> Am Freitag, den 31.10.2008, 10:57 +0100 schrieb Andreas K. Foerster:
> > We are - at least I am - talking about the freedom of choice for the
> > users!
>
> Somebody who has to install and use the proprietary flash player to view
> content (because, for example, gnash isn't able yet to display it) does
> *not* have the freedom of choice.
>
> It does of course make sense to give somebody who is chained to
> proprietary software by proprietary data formats or protocols as much
> freedom as possible, but telling these people that they "may" keep their
> left foot caught in a trap while they walk free with their right foot is
> "freedom of choice" isn't quite to the point, IMHO.

Okay, that's a different aspect.
That's why I think, we should first strive for free format and protocols.
That is what binds most people to specific software.

Flash is most often used for video and audio. Mozilla is going to implement
Ogg Theora and Ogg Vorbis directly into the browser.
That is a great idea - if it works.

Unfortunately I had very bad experiences with their Beta release. I tried it
with the new audio-tag. And the sound was just a bad noise. The same file
plays fine on every other player on the same hardware.
I've sent a report to them. I hope they'll fix it, or else people will get
a very bad first impression of Ogg Vorbis. :-(

If you want to test it:
http://akfoerster.de/LinuxBug.html

--
AKFoerster