firefox, iceweasel, burningdog, icecat, ...

Andreas K. Foerster list at akfoerster.de
Fri Oct 31 17:10:02 UTC 2008

Am Friday, dem 31. Oct 2008 schrieb Sam Liddicott:

> Andreas, it seems as though you think recent posts were directed at you
> personally, and then seem somewhat indignant because the comments
> unjustly imply something about a position you hold.

I didn't take it personally.
But, well, maybe I misunderstood you, but I saw your comment directed
against Free Software.

> I've had discussion on this list with those who seem to think that
> migrating a company to free software via a temporary non-free-tool is a
> sin. That's the best context I can give you to help you understand the
> framing of my comments.

Well, it's not a "sin", but I also doubt, that it is the best way to do it.
Especially flash: there might be some few exceptions, but for most people
and especially companys it is not vital to have flash content. It is merely
a convenience. And when they get used to it... well that's bad. Because it
doesn't lead to more freedom.

Again: I wouldn't want to forbid them to use it, but I also wouldn't help
them to use it, because I think it is bad.
And I would definetely reject it, if they tried to force me to use it!

>> To me whether or not iceweasel should support non-free flash is another
>> incarnation of the older question: Should Stallman have used a non-free
>> compiler to develop gcc? The answer NOW is "yes" because it clearly DID lead
>> to more freedom, so there is no debate;

I strongly disagree that Stallmans use of a non-free compiler justifies
the use of non-free flash. First, Stallman worked actively to solve the
problem, while you seem to deny that it is a problem.
Second: flash is for most users not vital. It is just a convenience.
And last but not least: we do have a Free Software alternative in gnash.
It might not yet support everything, but again: we are talking about mere
convenience.

If someone really depends on flash content, well then it might be justified
to use it *temporarily*. But you should watch out for better alternatives.

--
AKFoerster