Comment on "Nine Attitude Problems in Free and Open Source Software"

Noah Slater nslater at gnu.org
Fri Oct 24 21:24:27 UTC 2008

Thank you for your well reasoned response, Yavor.

I see what you're getting at, and while I would agree that compromising the
ideals of free software in order to ship some frivolous package would be
contradictory, I do see non-free software device drivers for situations where
there is no alternative to be an acceptable stepping stone to software freedom.

I guess we disagree on this point, but that is fine, of course.

I am in agreement that Debian shouldn't ship frivolous non-free software, and In
in my position as a Debian user and contributer wish they would distance
themselves from this practice.

Again, sorry for the rant, it was not directed at you. I have been growing more
and more upset by the mud flinging in general within our community, and this
seemed like a good a time as any to voice a few things. It's very easy to deride
each other for the mistakes we make, but a lot more productive to offer support
and help instead. The community shares more goals in common than it realises.

Thanks again,

--
Noah Slater, http://bytesexual.org/nslater