Comment on "Nine Attitude Problems in Free and Open Source Software"

P.B. pb at fsfe.org
Fri Oct 24 12:41:39 UTC 2008

Max Moritz Sievers wrote:
> P.B. wrote:
>
>> Due to its nature, development of FS is mainly distributed and thus
>> requires discipline, schedules, good communication skills - and
>> documentation (super-small projects like <5 people are an exception).
>> Commercial software often lacks proper documentation for "inside" - How
>> many times did I have to black-box debug in-house made apps?
>>

> Free software *is* commercial. See:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#commercialSoftware

oh. sorry. classic mistake.
I actually meant "distributed" (usually FS) vs. "local & closed"
(currently mostly commercial).

Since "commercial" exploitation of a project often leads to different
development goals (even if free software), I've used "commercial" in
this example. Of course I meant that proprietary, closed-source software.

Pb