Comment on "Nine Attitude Problems in Free and Open Source Software"

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Oct 24 09:19:28 UTC 2008

* Max Moritz Sievers wrote, On 24/10/08 09:49:
> Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> So? I am a Free Software Foundation member, and I support Open Source.
>>
>> Where is the contradiction there?
>>

> The FSF is against Open Source. If your statement means that you work on a
> project which others name an Open Source project, that would be okay. But
> then still you wouldn't support Open Source (the ideology).

I don't think "open source" is organized enough to have a formal
ideology; i.e. many "open source" supporters have opposing views on the
matter but it doesn't bother them because they either don't know or
don't care. Supporters aren't purged for having an impure view or
understanding.

As an observation, most people can't distinguish between "open source"
the sort-of-movement and source that is open, and to say that FSF is
against Open Source is going to confuse the un-converted. It's more
helpful to say that the FSF is against mere open source because now it
offers something more instead of just opposing something.

Sam