Comment on "Nine Attitude Problems in Free and Open Source Software"

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Oct 24 07:56:03 UTC 2008

* Yavor Doganov wrote, On 24/10/08 07:13:
> Noah Slater wrote:
>

>> Cannot Debian teach users about freedom, simply because they also
>> provide means for installing non-free software?
>>

> Yes, they cannot.  It's like someone convincing you that alcohol is
> very bad for your health and at the same time drinking and offering
> you the very same alcohol.  It is self-defeating.

Perhaps it's like someone telling you that drinking methylated spirits
is bad and giving you brandy until they can wean you off it.

Perhaps it's like reducing doses of methadone until you can kick the habit.

I find analogies help with misunderstandings of principle, but not
conversion to principles.

Sam