Comment on "Nine Attitude Problems in Free and Open Source Software"

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Oct 23 16:50:50 UTC 2008

"David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> The key difference between Debian and Ubuntu is "RTFM" versus "A
> newbie doesn't understand this? That's a problem to be fixed."

What a wonderful illustration of "1) Not knowing allies from enemies".

There are nice people and idiots involved in both the debian project
and the Ubuntu community.  I'd argue that the Ubuntu community has
better tools for dealing with them, but it's worth dealing with the
ones in debian in order to support free software more.

Also, I feel Ubuntu has "6) Focusing on hating Microsoft" in a bad way in
http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1
along with 7, 8 and 9.

Regards,
--