Comment on "Nine Attitude Problems in Free and Open Source Software"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 13:28:53 UTC 2008

2008/10/23 Max Moritz Sievers <mms at fsfe.org>:

> Let me comment on a few other points Bruce Byfield made. "RTFM" does not show
> hostility to newcomers. There are well written manuals because the free
> software community is friendly to newcomers.

Never mind that it comes across as hostility and has the same effect
as hostility.

The key difference between Debian and Ubuntu is "RTFM" versus "A
newbie doesn't understand this? That's a problem to be fixed."

http://notnews.today.com/2008/09/22/free-software-foundation-announces-gnuphone/
is about the error in the attitude you express.

- d.