Stallman: cloud computing is a trap

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Oct 6 12:06:00 UTC 2008

Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> wrote:
> MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> writes:
> > This is especially ironic
> > given the increasing use of proprietary webapps by FSF projects.
>
> I don't know which proprietary webapps you're refering to.
>
> Do you mean "proprietary" as in FSF violating it's own interpretation of
> free software or violating your definition (you might call AGPL non-free) of
> it?
>
> Or do you mean that not FSF but the off gnu.org homepages of some GNU
> packages are using proprietary webapps (like maybe sourceforge?) ?

I was thinking mainly of the off gnu.org homepages of some GNU
software.  I think that maybe sourceforge is justifiable, particularly
where its use predates the existance of Savannah and other free/open
hosting sites, so I wasn't thinking of that, but there are other parts
of the GNU project using things like Atlassian Confluence - it's not
like we're short of free software WikiEngines.

So it wasn't what I was referring to above, but I do feel that AGPL is
probably non-free, but it depends how the vague bits are resolved.
However, I fear that all AGPL-using sites would be blanket-OK'd by
FSF, which is why I think they wouldn't be a good rating agent for
webapps.  Also, some of the strongest AGPL advocates are heavy users
of proprietary web-apps, which is particularly irritating, like a
drunk lecturing on how we should all be sober at all times.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)