Understanding MPL

gk at fsfe.org gk at fsfe.org
Mon Oct 6 08:42:21 UTC 2008

> [ ... ]

Thank you very much, that was really helpful.

> > (4) What about deriving a - for example Java - class from a class under
> >     (a) MPL
> >     (b) LGPL
> > Would the derived class be allowed to have a proprietary license?
>
> I don't know the Java language, so I don't know what "derive" means in
> that context.  So I'll go for: Maybe :-)
>
> There might be some helpful info here:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html

Now, from what you said, also this issue seems pretty clear. A derived
class, that is inheriting attributes and behaviour from another class is a
derivative work. However, I think, since the derived class normally is in
a separate file only the LGPL requires it to stay LGPL. The MPL should
allow another license for that file/class, even though it is strongly
connected to - and definitely does not make sense in any way without - its
super/father/base class.

Regards, gk