GFDL 1.3

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Nov 5 14:07:49 UTC 2008

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:
>
>> In previous drafts I saw, there was an idea of being able to relicense
>> to a "GNU Wiki License" which would have presumably been CC-BY-SA
>> compatible without needing to relicense to that license[...]
>>
> It's possible that after trying, they decided that licence compatibility was
> impossible.

That seems pretty speculative. To quote Yoda, it's do or do not - there
is no "try", just the willingness to make the changes. It seems to me
that the only stumbling block is the removal of incompatible
restrictions in the FDL.

> I'm also not sure if licence compatibility can be open-ended.  If the
> hypothetical GNU Wiki License was compatible with cc-by-sa-3.0, then the
> window of compatibility would close when cc-by-sa was changed in an
> incompatible way.

Even in that scenario, it could be fixed with an updated license invoked
via the "or later.." clause, again assuming that the willingness was
there (& the change on the other side was something we were happy
with).  That's no different a situation to (e.g.) GPLv3 and the Apache
v2 licenses.

I admire your willingness to attempt to hypothesise about reasons this
could be a good thing or the only solution, but it still boils down to
the fact that "or later.." is being used to relicense works to CC-BY-SA
without the original author's permission. "Or later..." is supposed to
be used to update licenses to reflect the same spirit but respond to
modern needs. Introducing the possibility of an irreconcilable fork
doesn't seem to me to be in the same spirit.

Cheers,

Alex.