GFDL 1.3

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Nov 5 13:32:50 UTC 2008

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:
>
>> So my post-2009 scenario is going to rear its head with forks of
>> Wikipedia that are going to be potentially incompatible - people still
>> on GFDL at that point would be creating modifications which can't be
>> merged back.
>>

> Yes, but isn't this inevitable no matter how the change of licence is done?

No, it's only a problem because the ability to relicense is time-limited.

In previous drafts I saw, there was an idea of being able to relicense
to a "GNU Wiki License" which would have presumably been CC-BY-SA
compatible without needing to relicense to that license - I was
imagining a license akin to the GFDL in the way the LGPL is akin to the
GPL.

If that option had been open-ended, it would have meant that forks could
have been resolved to each other. With the current license, any forks
unresolved before August 2009 are unresolvable again.

Cheers,

Alex.