GFDL 1.3

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Nov 5 13:03:49 UTC 2008

Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Many organisations publish modified versions of Wikipedia, so it's useful
> for them to be able to be able to move their version to cc-by-sa instead of
> having to drop their version, take a fresh copy of Wikipedia after the
> (possible) change of licence, and redo their changes.  Just a guess.

Note also that the clause says "operator" and not "Publisher".
Publisher is defined in the early part of the FDL, so I think operator
is in the classic IT sense of computer operator (because "user" would
be confusing).

So even if Wikipedia doesn't relicense as a whole, most of Wikipedia
probably will become cc-by-sa soon.
--
MJ Ray (slef)