GFDL 1.3

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Mon Nov 3 22:36:16 UTC 2008

replying to correct myself:

Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> writes:
> This is a non-issue for Wikipedia because each contributor owns their
> contributions

No, I seem to be wrong.  The licence says:

  "The operator of an MMC Site may republish an MMC contained in the site
   under CC-BY-SA on the same site at any time before August 1, 2009,
   provided the MMC is eligible for relicensing.

so the licence gives the site operating the choice to change the licence of
content which is owned by the users.

Knowing FSF, I assume they got sufficient reassurances from Wikimedia
Foundation that they won't abuse this power.  So to assess the risks, the
question to ask is what other sites (GFDL'd wikis) are eligible for this
change of licence?

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan, +32 477 36 44 19, http://ciaran.compsoc.com/

Support free software, join FSFE's Fellowship: http://fsfe.org