Comment on "Nine Attitude Problems in Free and Open Source Software"

Diogo Santos diogo.santos at ansol.org
Sun Nov 2 10:13:00 UTC 2008

Qui, 2008-10-23 às 13:15 +0000, Max Moritz Sievers escreveu:

> I'm against sanctions against Microsoft because it has a monopoly. The users
> get what they deserve. If you don't like Microsoft then don't use their
> products, but don't ask the courts to take their money which you voluntarily
> gave to them.

You're missing the point that many people didn't voluntarily bought
micro$oft products/services, but where forced to buy it due to
proprietary lock-in in which they where due to previous wrong choices,
or due to the necessity of work with people that used micro$oft
products.

If micro$oft got market position, and money from the market, due to
ilegal tactics, then it should be forced to take down unfair competition
barriers (free specifications, and change some contracts with OEMs and
all those that sell micro$oft products), and also be financially
penalised, and that money should be used in fair ways to make the market
recover from that, by applying the money in things that allow fair
access to m$ specifications and other things...

No company should ever be allowed to get away with crime, and all fair
measures that may stop them should be applied. And I think that the only
unfair measure so far was to force m$ to distribute window$ without some
software, because that's not the problem, nor the solution.

with my cumpliments
Diogo Santos