firefox, iceweasel, burningdog, icecat, ...

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Nov 1 11:41:04 UTC 2008

"P.B." <pb at fsfe.org> wrote: [...]
> So what to do? If you setup a computer today without nonfree-flash,
> that's like the first call you're gonna get: "bohoooo... youtube...
> bohooo.... myspace.... bohooo... lunax sucks. nothing works"

Before nonfree-flash, it was java; before java, it was acroread;
before acroread, it was navigator; before navigator, I don't know, but
I expect there was something.

I think this argument has even less weight today than ever before.

nonfree-flash mainly continues to be such a problem because of bad
webmasters (usually under strong instruction from site owners) failing
to use the type attribute correctly and/or using javascripts that only
recognise the Adobe plugin.

Well, that, and that we can't persuade firefox to help fix free flash
by always offering it as a preferred alternative to nonfree-flash.

[...]
> almost impossible to avoid them thinking "oh. it's because of this Lunax
> where things are painfully difficult and you can't do normal stuff on"

I usually tell them "OK, this isn't really easy because that's a bad
Windows(or whatever)-specific website" and that seems to work.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)