Even Microsoft officially gives up on ISO/DIS-29500

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.cat
Tue May 27 06:45:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:37:27AM +0100, David Gerard wrote:

> OOo officially regards a failure to conform to ODF as a reportable
> bug. They need to shout this out as loud as possible.

I must be misunderstanding something.

Usually anything is a reportable bug. Users report all sort of things,
and then there's some evaluation and priorisation process to decide
which bugs are fixed.

I think I can report a bug to OpenOffice.org saying it doesn't toast my toasts
on the right side, so that's a reportable bug as much as ODF non-compliance.
Hopefully what happens to each of those bugs is what makes the difference,
but saying something is a reportable bug is quite a low offer. Ok, so
defective toast toasting is not "officially regarded" as reportable,
and ODF non-compliance is. Good. But then it still gives no warranty
of conformance.

I don't mean to criticise OOo. I just think it's better to say they
have ODF conformance as a high priority goal (hopefully true) than to
say non-conformance is officially a reportable bug.

xdrudis at tinet.cat
Signa per fer Collserola parc natural com cal
http://www.collserola.org/salvemelparcnatural/