Even Microsoft officially gives up on ISO/DIS-29500

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:37:27 UTC 2008

2008/5/22 David B <davidb_info at yahoo.es>:

>  I wish I could wholeheartedly applaud the Microsoft announcement about native support for ODF, but I can't. Of course, it's better to have native support for ODF, no matter what motives may have influenced Microsoft's announcement, and I'm glad about that for the sake of end users. But it hasn't happened yet. Was the word 'vaporware' not coined for Microsoft? In any case, I'm in the "I will believe it when I see it" category when it comes to Microsoft. They've earned my caution.

I am fully confident that Microsoft will implement ODF every bit as
well as they implemented HTML.

This is why accepted test suites and acid tests are a high priority
item. (I can't find the link, but Rob Weir has written a recent
mailing list message summing up what is needed.)

OOo officially regards a failure to conform to ODF as a reportable
bug. They need to shout this out as loud as possible.

- d.

- d.