One or two (or five) questions about free software and hardware

Robin C. M. Staple robin.staple at googlemail.com
Fri May 2 07:29:36 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a few questions:

1.) Is the only reason why completely free GNU/Linux distros like Gobuntu or
gnewsense don't work as well because of a lack of FOSS drivers?

2.) If so, are there laptops available in the world which one can buy that
have completely FOSS hardware (like the OpenMoko phone)?

3.) If such a laptop exists, would any old Joe like myself be able to run a
completely free OS? (Given that I am a GNU/Linux noob and know nothing about
programming, compiling, etc.)

4.) Is there a list somewhere of "certified FREE hardware" laptops /
desktops and where to buy them?

5.) Is the JISUS laptop (http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS3294112608.html)
such a machine?

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to answer my questions!  I am
rather new to the issues at hand, have been searching around for a while for
answers but can't find any...