Free software use in the public sector

Carsten Agger agger at c.dk
Wed Mar 19 15:38:00 UTC 2008

Torsten Werner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInThePublicSector is another source.
>
> Cheers,
> Torsten

MJ Ray is right, though - there's a lot of info there, but it's not very
up-to-date, and an actual status of the projects is difficult to find.

An up-to-date survey could easily take weeks to make and might be a nice
project to make another selling point for migration ...

Anyway, I'm a developer, so market research is not really my line of
work; but I had to give a talk, so there ... anyway, my "angle" is that
of a small consultancy, and one thing that's interesting about Free
Software adaptation from that point of view is that when the political
and financial pressure really starts to work and the administrations
begin to switch, there's an obscene amount of money just waiting for
SME's to make it.

The relevance from a business point of view depends on *when* that
"when" is going to happen, of course.

best regards,
Carsten

--