Non Disclosure Agreement and GPL

Shane Martin Coughlan coughlan at fsfeurope.org
Sun Mar 2 11:48:15 UTC 2008

Hi Yves

Yves Autran wrote:
> I develop a software where I do have a NDA part, how can I handle this?
> I have to link the code against :
> glibc (LGPL)
> libusb (LGPL)
> libnova (LGPL)
> if I refer to
> http://lists.gpl-violations.org/pipermail/tech/2007-November.txt.gz , I
> am allowed to hide the source code for the NDA piece of the code and
> publish the sources not relating to the NDA.
> What should I tell the community ?
> Can I still use the GPL licensing?
> How should I behave with the LGPL projects owners/maintainers

I think it would be useful to look at the GPL FAQ:

# Does the GPL allow me to distribute a copy under a nondisclosure
agreement?
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowNDA

# Does the GPL allow me to distribute a modified or beta version under a
nondisclosure agreement?
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowModNDA

# Does the GPL allow me to develop a modified version under a
nondisclosure agreement?
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DevelopChangesUnderNDA

I hope this helps.

Shane