The bad FSF

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at online.de
Tue Jun 3 17:11:00 UTC 2008

http://www.metrocorpcounsel.com/current.php?artType=view&artMonth=May&artYear=2008&EntryNo=8208

> This is just junk, this is half hate speech, half straw man attack.
> The GPLv3 is compatible with Affero, (GPL v2 was not), so GPLv3 actually
> GOES into the direction of allowing people to close the ASP loophole,
> but it primarily give CHOICE to do so.
> The reason why Affero GPLv3 and GPLv3 are not one and the same license
> is because the FSF *listened* to the committees and interested parties,
> and most were not in favor of *forcibly* closing the so called ASP
> loophole.
>
> Junk really not worth considering imo.
>
> Simo.

Well, unfortunatly the article at stake looks like pure
lobbying, bullying or something like that.

However, the one argument delivered is not to refute
that way IMO. Can't see that claimed loophole at all.

There is a fundamental difference between the right to
know the program running on your own computer and a
claimed right to know the sourcecode of programmes
running by others.

Open sources are a human right. Thats because people
are held responsible for what their computers do, so
they must have the right to know, to look into.

Quite different, if you query some server in the
net. It's the owner of that server who is responsible,
he must know the code, not you.

At least in first instance.

So far is no reason to blame the FSF for that.
Other reason may exist. :)

Greetings

Andreas Röhler