How should a newbie search for GNU/Linux help?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 29 13:18:27 UTC 2008

Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> writes:

> It seems that each distro has it's own forums, and most projects
> have their own forums or mailing lists, and then there are some
> general sites like linuxquestions.org (or google.com/linux).

My first response is to lament the rise of such one-site-only,
non-standard forums at the expense of categorised, distributed,
standard-protocol Usenet forums. It does contribute to the problem of
knowing where to start.

> These are great for you and I

I find them far inferior to Usenet, myself, and am very glad for the
huge wealth of such forums standardised in access by the NNTP
interface of the Gmane service.

--
 \      “If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly |
  `\                      owned if it is not shared.” —Saint Augustine |