Richard Stallman's new article: Overcoming Social Inertia

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 31 22:25:24 UTC 2008

On 09-Nov-2007, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> My experience is with a data-acquisition application in my
> university.

> They asked me to write it because the commercial[1] ones were too
> costly. Over time, they asked me to add a lot of features, as they
> were seeing how to improve its usefulness while using it.

At what point in that process did your custom-written program provide
more of what they wanted than was provided by the non-free
alternatives?

> It quickly became more expensive than the alternatives, for them.

More expensive than developing one of those non-free programs to have
all the features they had requested, and got, from you?

--
 \        "Why, I'd horse-whip you if I had a horse."  -- Groucho Marx |
Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au>