LGPLv3 for a C++ Pure Template Library ?

Benoît Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Jan 20 10:25:16 UTC 2008

Hi List,

(NOTE: Please keep eigen at lists.tuxfamily.org in CC.)

I would like to know if the LGPLv3 can be suitable for a C++ pure template
library, where all the code is in headers?

I asked the same question on this list in 2006 about the LGPLv2 and got this
answer,

http://osdir.com/ml/org.fsf.europe.discussion/2006-10/msg00091.html

according to which the LGPLv2 is not suitable for a pure template library, and
such libraries should instead use the GPL plus an exception.

I would really like to be able to use an unmodified license, instead of having
to resort to appending an exception. So I would be very happy if the LGPLv3
solved the problems of the LGPLv2 that prevented it from being usable for a
pure template library.

(I could also elaborate on why I do not use the GPL. I need my project to be
usable by a wide range of other projects, some of which might be under BSD
license, some others might be dual-licensed GPL/proprietary, etc. I just want
to allow everybody to use my project without any worry).

Best Regards,

Benoît Jacob