List mechanics

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:22:02 UTC 2008

On 23/01/2008, Bernhard Reiter <reiter at fsfeurope.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 January 2008 10:50, Alan Pope wrote:

> > ..or anti-spam on the list server.

> We also do this, but it does not catch everything.

It's a very blunt instrument in my experience with Wikimedia lists.
Our mail server assigns a spam score to everything that comes through,
but it's amazing how low some spam scores and how high some human
emails score. I tend to set high scoring mail to "discard" and a
somewhat lower threshold to "hold for moderation". On lists where it's
particularly important every human mail be read (e.g. Oversight-l, the
alert address for deleting sensitive personal information from the
wiki), I don't discard anything automatically.

- d.