Violation of AGPL!

Carsten Agger agger at c.dk
Thu Jan 24 11:13:57 UTC 2008

Shane Martin Coughlan <coughlan at fsfeurope.org> wrote:

> Hi Alexander
>
> Alexander Plank wrote:
> > A developer is violating the terms of the AGPLv1 by sub-licensing
> his
> > software under the AGPL. His site is http://www.cmsimple.dk/ and
> > he distributes his software under the AGPL but adds a condition
> that
> > users must include an advert link to his website in a separate
> license ...
> > What can be done about this?
>
> I have forwarded your concerns to FSF's licensing lab for
> consideration
> and comment.

However, note that the if developer holds the copyright of the code himself, he's perfectly entitled to do so. However, his work is then not really under the AGPL as he claims, but under a new license consisting of the AGPL + one additional restriction. This is confusing and undesirable and I personally don't like the concept of "badgeware" inherent in some "Open Source" licenses, but if he owns the copyright to the code, he's not violating the AGPL by defining such terms.

br
Carsten

--
http://www.modspil.dk