List mechanics

Wiebe van der Worp wiebe at vrijschrift.org
Wed Jan 23 10:43:36 UTC 2008

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 January 2008 23:01, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>> Instead of simply rejecting them, moderate all the non-subscribed
>> messages.  The best of two worlds.
>
> I believe this is, what we do.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems to be that there are some spammers that already know
> how to subscribe to a Mailman list and then send unwanted emails.
> To really battle this we would need a harder subscribtion process.

With a list with a lot of members you don't want to approve membership
manually. Besides, based on his name only it is hard to distrust spammer
williamromsay at gmail.com (btw he is still on this list...). On the
other hand manual membership approval may be the only solution for now
because a look at the membership list shows several accounts I wouldn't
trust. Tough decision to make.