FSFE Newsletter

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Jan 8 17:12:22 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 06:07:14PM +0100, Jonas Öberg wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 16:45:18 +0000
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
>
> > What, that they legitimise Microsoft's software patents and FSF Europe
> > stays quiet? Something should have been said.
>
> We didn't exactly stay quiet, but we also don't want to think of this
> as a defeat for Free Software. It isn't -- it's a very good step
> forward. The only ones who seem to have an opposing view is the FFII.

It's one step foward and two steps back. You fell in the trap of agreeing
with EC on the ackowledgement of software patents from Microsoft.

A mistake is normal, denial isn't.

> But patents will likely be an issue in the future, so I hope that the
> FFII and the FSFE will find enough common ground then to work together
> (this shouldn't be very difficult, we agree on most point, and only
> seem to disagree in this instance about interpretation).

Can you focus on the patent issue and explain what is wrong in the
interpretation the EC acknowledges their software patents as something
to be respected?

They only have jurisdiction in the EU, so don't speak to me about the US
or other of the rare countries which acknowledge software patents.

Just EU.

Rui

--
Wibble.
Today is Pungenday, the 8th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?