FSFE Newsletter

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Jan 8 15:17:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:53:59AM -0500, simo wrote:

> > > You can't really seriously argue about (anti)patents in an anti-trust
> > > case.
> >
> > Sure, we should just cave in to the «if there are patents involved,
> > forget anti-trust» mantra that EC has shoved upon us.
>
> I never heard such a mantra, must have been living in a different
> world...

Can counterpoint the verbalization of facts with counter facts? Because
the result recognises Microsoft's software patents.

Software patents are invalid in Europe so...

> > > Actually, this is not right.
> > > Having the docs is definitely better than having none, even under NDA.
> >
> > Having OOXML as it is must be definitly better then.
>
> For implementing OOXML sure, but don't try to muddle the waters here
> please, OOXML *is not* a standard and we are not speaking of making CIFS
> protocols a standard, so don't mix things this agreement has nothing to
> do with the OOXML standardization process.

As I said in another email, what I'm question in my remark is the logic
of the statement.

> > > Remember that the source code will be available, everybody can read it
> > > and even write documentation reading the source code.
> >
> > Under NDA development it is frequent that you can't reveal information
> > through "readable" function names or variables, or even comments
> > explaining the limits of certain values, etc...
>
> Rui, *please*, can you read the agreement?
> I am a bit offended you think Samba Team members are so stupid to fall
> in such traps, actually we changed the original agreement wording just
> to avoid things like that, read it!

I am not so confident as you are in the wording.

> > > The EU has no such granting power, patent law allows Microsoft to ask
> > > for royalties.
> >
> > And EC recognises software patents, Q.E.D.
>
> Well this is your mantra, not mine, I guess we just disagree here, time
> will tell.

Oh really? Counter with facts please:

 * EC or even CoJ can't affect juridisctions outside EU, namely the USA.
 * EC or even CoJ can affect the juridisction of European Union.
 * Software patents are against the letter of the law
 * in the current context, there are only software patents
 * results recognise said software patents

> > > You should remember that before the conclusion of the
> > > case MS had much stricter terms to access the documentation and a patent
> > > license with per unit royalties was unavoidable. Now we get a flat fee
> > > for the docs and we are not required to sign any patent license.
> >
> > Of course not, its at your own risk to be prossecuted or not, because
> > there's nothing protecting you or your customers from that.
>
> Like before, no difference at all.
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not exactly, because they recognise and legitimise them by taking them in
account. Toothless. So why rejoice?

> > EC case is only reasonably acceptable considering USA laws.
>
> Which is important because we do not develop and distribute in a vacuum.
> A ruling that would matter under EU *only* law, would have been
> COMPLETELY useless as Free Software is distributed everywhere we *need*
> to be ok under any possible jurisdiction, and this deal made MS accept
> rules that work in the US as well.

Irrelevant strawmen argument, since for that you need to address at WIPO.
No juridisction over USA means it can only affect EU. The result is
disatreous in EU as it recognises validity of software patents.

> > > True the EC could have gone as far as imposing MS to provide even the
> > > patent license for a flat fee, or, in theory even oblige MS to grant a
> > > license to anybody for free. But we couldn't get that far this time.
> >
> > Totally beyond the point. They should not have recognises Microsoft's
> > software patents.
>
> They were not fighting a software patents battle, period.
> An antitrust case is not about recognizing software patents, true they
> could have imposed different licensing methods, but they can't rule
> patents valid or invalid during an antitrust case.

They can have absolutely no regard at all since they are invalid. What
they did is have them in accoun => recognising => legitimizing themt

> Microsoft put the
> patents on the table and the EC options were around how to make MS
> license them.

 => recognising => legitimizing them

> Ignoring them would have meant leaving MS carte-blanche on how to
> license them.

I didn't say ignore. It should outright exclude them in the valid
jurisdisction.

> > > I can't see this big patent problem you see, the fact that a certain
> > > part of the establishment is ok with software patents is not new at all,
> > > we all know that.
> > > I honestly don't think this case changes any balance in that respect.
> >
> > Of course not, other than EC recognising software patents, its virtually
> > unfelt by Microsoft.
>
> So the EC was previously not recognizing them and now it does?

It is you who claim that. I don't claim that *anywhere*. In fact I claim
they legitimise them.

I don't understand how you can give such a blind-folded benefit of
doubt.

--

Today is Pungenday, the 8th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?