FSFE Newsletter

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Jan 8 14:37:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:35:17PM +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 12:17 +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > >
> > > You would prefer they pretend those patents weren't issued?
> >
> > No, they should demand EPO to ungrant them.
>
> Honestly, I think that would be completely pointless politicking for
> absolutely no gain. There are some battles not worth fighting, and
> attempting to bust a few patents down in a negotiation process for much
> more important information is one of them.

Not bust a few patents, all *software* patents.

First step is not recognising them at all.

> Let's imagine that by some chance the EC agreed that the patents should
> be invalidated, and bypassed the usual legal process for whatever
> bizarre and dangerous reason. What good does that do us? It doesn't
> invalidate all the other software patents that have been granted in
> Europe. The EC isn't going to set any kind of precedent in patents with
> some anti-trust agreement.

Haven't you noticed? They already did! If you have patents, don't worry
about anti-trust!

> Software patents aren't going to be defeated one-by-one by knocking them
> out some way; the legal situation needs clarity so that the patents are
> recognisably unenforcable. Right now that arguably isn't the case.

I don't defend that. I defend that they must not be recognised at all.

In Europe there are no Software Patents. There are some patents that
have been granted against the law.

Rui

--
Hail Eris!
Today is Pungenday, the 8th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?