FSFE Newsletter

Jonas Öberg oberg at fsfeurope.org
Tue Jan 8 09:05:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 08:35:36 +0000
Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:

> => recognizing MS Software Patents in EU

I can see how you can make this connection, but I don't think it
necessarily reflects reality. The EC is with no uncertainty aware of
our position against software patents, and accepting this license does
in no way change our opinion that granted patents on software should be
invalidated and no new patents granted on the subject.

If anything, accepting this license might be a recognision of patents
in general, but it's not a recognision of software patents.

In fact, the agreement with Microsoft makes crystal clear in several
places that the licensee is not waiving its right to contest the
validity of the patents, and I'm quite sure this will happen at some
point in time.

--
Jonas Öberg
Free Software Foundation Europe                ( Join the Fellowship )