FSFE Newsletter

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Jan 8 00:06:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:36:10PM +0100, Michael Kesper wrote:
> * Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> [2008-01-07 15:05:20 +0000]:
> > >
> > > Why do you call it a disaster? Just for the patents problem? Or is there
> > > anything else?
> >
> > The patents problem.

> > > It's not the EC that is making this possible, it is the EPO that is
> > > releasing patents to Microsoft.
> >
> > With full support from EC, as usual.
> >
> > > Actually if you think it through you can argue that if the commission
> > > forced MS to license their patents for a flat fee, that would constitute
> > > much more recognition that such patents were valid,
> >
> > *YES* this is *THE* principal problem.
>
> Sorry I fail to see your argument. Software patents are a disaster but I
> don't see the connection to the EU antitrust case.

EC said: «bad boys, as a punishment, you may charge royalties for the
access to patented information from the competition.

Since you have patents, we cave in, but let's do it in a way where we
can be seen as having a major victory against you, ok?»

> There was no acknowledging of any patent and no patent fees were paid.

Of *specific* ones, no. Just carte-blanche for royalties on patents.

> MS was forced to tell what it claimed to be patents instead of FUDing
> "We have xxx patents on this".

Oh really? Can you point me to the lists? And HOW would that contradict
that EC is validating Microsoft's software patents with this result? In
fact, it proves it outright!

Rui

--
Hail Eris, Hack GNU/Linux!
Today is Pungenday, the 8th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?