FSFE Newsletter

Michael Kesper mkallas at schokokeks.org
Mon Jan 7 21:36:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

* Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> [2008-01-07 15:05:20 +0000]:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 07:32:19AM -0500, simo wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 15:42 +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > > The semi-disaster of the Microsoft-vs-CE result
> >
> > Why do you call it a disaster? Just for the patents problem? Or is there
> > anything else?
>
> The patents problem.
>
> > >  is still producing the
> > > image that Microsoft's software patents are valid *in*Europe*.
> >
> > It's not the EC that is making this possible, it is the EPO that is
> > releasing patents to Microsoft.
>
> With full support from EC, as usual.
>
> > Actually if you think it through you can argue that if the commission
> > forced MS to license their patents for a flat fee, that would constitute
> > much more recognition that such patents were valid,
>
> *YES* this is *THE* principal problem.

Sorry I fail to see your argument. Software patents are a disaster but I
don't see the connection to the EU antitrust case.
There was no acknowledging of any patent and no patent fees were paid.
MS was forced to tell what it claimed to be patents instead of FUDing
"We have xxx patents on this".

Best wishes
Michael
--