Why are open standards important for end-users?

Michael Kesper mkallas at schokokeks.org
Fri Feb 29 18:34:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

* Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> [2008-02-29 17:05:12 +0000]:

> "gk at fsfe.org" <gk at fsfe.org> writes:
> > During preparation for the DFD I am currently searching for reasons why open
> > standards are important for end-users.
>
> Less lock-in?  No more having to (pay to) upgrade your software just to be
> able to read documents.
>
> "Your friends will be able to read and edit it"?

Your grandchildren will be able to read (and edit) it.
Thinking of enterprises or public institutions, there are
many legal papers having to be kept for 10 or 30 years.
Nowadays many of them are kept electronically, naturally.

Best wishes
Michael
--
Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) []         (http://fsfeurope.org)