On the EUPL

simo simo.sorce at xsec.it
Fri Feb 22 15:13:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 13:13 +0000, Schmitz, Patrice-Emmanuel wrote:

> Dears,
>

> Wikipedia classifies the European Union Public Licence (EUPL) as GPL
> compatible.
>
> This seems indeed resulting from the text (article 5 and annexe).

Article 5 seem to clearly* state that you can redistribute the work
under the GPL version 2, if you need to link an EUPL 1.0 work with a GPL
2.0 work. Therefore the GPL is satisfied, as you will just use that one
license to redistribute the work as a whole.

Note that it is unclear if EUPL can be considered compatible with
version 3 of the GPL.

Perhaps the EU needs to release an amendment to their license to include
it.

> However external links refer to a memo "On the EUPL" by Georg C. F.
> Greve of the Free Software Foundation, stating:

Just to be precise, that's Free Software Foundation *Europe*, which is
not the same entity as the FSF who wrtie and maintain the GPL licenses.

> "The last version of the EUPL we were presented with was a copyleft,
> GPL incompatible Free Software license."

This comment ("On the EUPL") was released in 2005, the EUPL 1.0 has been
released in 2007, I guess many things have changed in 2 years.

Simo.

*IANAL