paying artists

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Feb 15 21:26:30 UTC 2008

Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 09:38 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:
> > > In continental Europe, things are different again, since there
> > > is a much stronger adherence to moral rights, which have little
> > > to do with the economics.
> >
> > By that account, then, it seems that in the EU also it is not the
> > goal of copyright to redistribute money.
>
> Not really:
> [excerpt from EC directive or law]

But from what principle does this law argue? I'm looking for the
equivalent of the USA's constitutional power given to the governmennt
to create copyright monopolies.

Even in the exceprt you give, it seems the argument is made from the
motivation to have the artist continue their work as though that in
itself were the benefit being sought.

--
 \       "He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder."  -- |
  `\                                           Maurits Cornelis Escher |